Laptop protection includes also data security. We�ve already seen how to prevent your notebook from theft and how to protect it from physical damage. This time, discover how to protect your data from loss or theft.
1) Awareness: this is probably the number one laptop protection technique. Being aware that your data is at the mercy of various elements is the first step to ensuring that nothing happens and should it, you will be prepared for it.
For instance, if you back-up your data, never lend your computer to strangers, and never leave it unattended in a public area, chances of data loss or theft will be minimal.
2) Back-up your data: get an external drive, an online storage account, or partition your internal hard drive. There�s no worse feeling that having a problem with your computer and losing all the data.
Depending on your computing habits, you should back-up your data at regular intervals. This is probably the most ignore laptop protection technique which is a pity because computer failure is probably the number one reason for data loss.
3) Prevent anyone from accessing your computer remotely. This has to do with securing your wireless Internet access, firewall and network connectivity. I am not a pro at these kinds of things so, ask a certified professional.
One thing to do though is to be careful when using file sharing software such as Kazaa and so on. By accident, you can let others access files that you don�t want to share and before you know it, they�re all over the net!
4) Passwords: I am guilty of this� It would not take a rocket scientist to guess my computer�s main password (basically, if you know whom I have dated, your task will be easy).
Choosing complex passwords that people other than you can figure out is a good laptop protection measure that will discourage or make it hard to access your data by getting into your computer.
5) Encrypt your data: this laptop protection technique is the one advocated by most IT professionals with a very good reason: if your computer gets stolen or hacked, it will be tough to impossible for thieves and hackers to access the sensitive data.
There are so many software to achieve this and again, ask a certified pro for some insight as I am not really versed into this field to offer relevant advice.
Securing your data is probably the most effective laptop protection measure. Even if your computer ends in the wrong hands, at least your data will be safe. In today�s world where information is power, this is a fair sacrifice in my opinion.